This Service is available by appointment only.

Marriage & Civil Union Licenses are available at the Plainfield Township Administration Building.


Monday – Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. For more information or to make an appointment, contact the Township at 815.436.8308.

Marriage and Civil union licenses are only valid in the County of Will. The license is printed at time of application and is valid the following day and valid for 60 days. Both parties must be present and the process takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Both parties must be 18 years or older. Persons under 18 years old must have the written consent of both parents.

Required documentation for both parties:

One of:

  • Driver’s License*
  • State I.D.
  • U.S. Military I.D.
  • U.S. Passport
  • Foreign Passport


Two of:

  • Certified Birth Certificate
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card
  • U.S. Naturalization Papers
  • Foreign Consulate ID Card

Previous Marriage: Persons who have been married before must show proof of dissolution of marriage by providing a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate, whichever is applicable

*If address is different on your driver’s license, bring proof of residency such as a paid utility bill

Marriage/Civil Union License Fees: CASH ONLY!

  • $35.00 for the license
  • $12.00 for the first certified copy
  • $4.00 for each additional certified copy

We only accept CASH at the township office.

The township office is a satellite location for the Will County Clerk. If the satellite hours are not convenient for you, please contact the County Clerk’s Office at 815.740.4615 for additional hours or locations. For more information, visit the Will County Clerk’s website.

A note from the Will County Clerk:

I am pleased to announce that after careful review, the Will County Clerk’s Office will ease the identification requirements necessary to obtain a license for marriage or civil union. Effective Nov. 4th, 2019, the Will County Clerk’s Office will allow residents to provide one of the following forms of identification when applying for a marriage or civil union license: a valid Driver’s License, a State ID, a U.S. Military ID, a U.S. Passport, or a Foreign Passport.

This change will be less restrictive for our citizens while keeping in full compliance with state statute. In the past, the County Clerk’s Office required citizens to provide a Birth Certificate or a Passport in addition to one of the above forms of photo identification. That requirement was more restrictive than what Illinois law and many of our neighboring counties required.

My goal as the Will County Clerk is to eliminate unnecessary restrictions and barriers so that citizens may receive all of our services with convenience and courtesy. It is both an honor and a joy to serve couples as they embark upon their new lives together. I hope this new policy makes their plans a little easier.


Will County Clerk

Lauren Staley Ferry

If you wish to convert a civil union to marriage please click the press release for your options: (

Skip to content